Tuesday, May 4, 2010

It's never as simple as black and white...




It's the middle of the night and I can't sleep. So what's a girl to do but embark upon her next challenge ~ black and white!


A forum I am a member of has a theme of "black and white" this month ~ quite a challenge for a girl like myself who lives for colour. I have been going through old photos of mine and converting them to black and white and I'm finding they just don't have the same appeal or impact for me.


Actually, to be quite frank, they look horrible in black and white. No life and no soul. This month is going to stretch me in ways I'm not sure I want to be stretched. I'm hoping to be converted, to be convinced of the benefits of black and white but we shall see. Already I am seeing that figuring out the correct lighting and positioning of the objects I photograph is going to be crucial, it's not going to be enough to simply convert exisiting photographs into black and white.


The above photo is actually a gorgeous purple flower, I have a feeling it's a kind of thistle. Not the same in black and white as when it is in colour but it actually works okay. My last offering on the altar of all that is black and white for tonight is the following, a seascape taken at Cape Conran, Victoria late last year.


No comments:

Post a Comment